Our services in company and M&A business involve a range of transaction types and cover the entire transaction process, including acquisition and disposal of non-listed assets and acquisition of listed companies from initial investment up to equity withdrawal. Especially, we have rich practical experience in dealing with cross-border transactions as well as trading and acquisition and restructuring of state-owned assets.
Merge and acquisition
Our business involves a range of industries including financial services, manufacturing, trade, energy and mining, automobile, real estate and construction, communication and transportation, life science and medical care, food and catering, culture, entertainment & sports and TMT, and covers all the aspects of transactions, including foreign capital access, overseas investment, industrial regulation, state-owned asset management, tax, FX regulation, intellectual property, labor, antitrust and national security review, among others.
We have creatively undertaken a large number of milestone cases in China M&A market, including:
- In 2019, represented New Frontier Corporation to purchase United Family Healthcare (UFH) from TPG
- In 2019, represented Suning.com to acquire Carrefour China
- In 2019, represented Jiangxi Copper Company Limited's acquisition of the Canadian Listed Company First Quantum Minerals Ltd. Shares with a Consideration Exceeding USD 1.1 Billion
- In 2019, represented BeiGenes's Strategic Oncology Collaboration with Amgen
- In 2017, represented CNAC to acquire all the shares of Syngenta (listed in Switzerland and the U.S.) with a deal value of USD42.6 billion (the largest overseas investment acquisition project among Chinese companies, “Outbound Deal of the Year” by China Law & Practice 2017)
- In 2016, participated in IDG Capital's acquisition of shares of A shares listed company Sichuan Shuangma Cement Co., Ltd. and the takeover of control project
- In 2015, represented IFC regarding the strategic investment in Postal Savings Bank of China
- In 2014, represented HKEX-listed company Skyworth Digital Holdings Ltd. injected spin-off domestic STB business (estimated RMB3.5 billion) into China Resources Jinhua Co., Ltd. and listed domestically (The first case of back-door listing of overseas red chip listed company's spin-off domestic asset business at A shares securities market)
- In 2010, represented United Design Group on its overall consolidation with AsiaInfo (ASIA.Nasdaq) (The new company becomes the largest telecom software enterprise in China), and the afterwards listed in Hong Kong
- In 2009, represented Tianjin Port Development Holdings Limited (3382.HK), through its wholly-owned subsidiary Grand Point Investment Limited, acquired 56.81% shares in Tianjin Port Holdings Co., Ltd. (600717.SH) from Tianjin Port (Group) Co., Ltd. for a total consideration of HK$10,961 million (The first state-owned red chip company listed in Hong Kong to acquire the controlling interest in an A-share company listed in China by means of a reverse takeover)
- In 2002, represented SABMiller regarding its general offer to acquire Harbin Brewery Group Harbin Brewery (The first foreign general offer targeting Chinese companies on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange)
- Participated in the share swap absorption merger of Huabei Expressway (000916) and China Merchants Expressway Network & Technology Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Participated in Hubei Shalunda Co., Ltd. RMB18.4 billion share swap to acquire full stake in Adama Agricultural Solutions (the world's sixth-largest pesticide producer)
What the team is known for Well-established practice with expertise across a wide range of big-ticket M&A. Advises both multinational and domestic clients on onshore and cross-border deals, showing notable activity in the pharmaceutical, healthcare, mining and retail sectors. Active in cross-border transactions involving South-Eastern Asia and offshore jurisdictions.
——Chambers-Greater China Region 2022
The team are praised by a client for being "very hard-working." The same source remarks that "their service is also really great." Another source reports: "They are quite strong and we run into them often."
——Chambers-Greater China Region 2022
With regard to corporate relevant legal affairs, our experience can satisfy all the needs of a company from establishment to liquidation. Our services mainly include:
- designing investment structure and corporate governance structure;
- conducting legal due diligence;
- participating in negotiating and drafting, reviewing and modifying documents related to incorporation;
- helping clients process various government approvals, licenses and registrations, among others;
- providing comprehensive legal opinions regarding tax planning, intellectual property protection, labor and human resources management, FX, customs and exit strategy, among others;
- drafting, reviewing and negotiating various business contracts in daily operation;
- dealing with litigation and arbitration affairs;
- dealing with restructuring, settlement and liquidation, etc.
What the team is known for Well-regarded practice with notable experience in internal investigations, anti-bribery and antitrust matters. Utilising its expertise and advantage in the healthcare sphere, the team remains the popular choice among pharmaceutical companies. Also active in representing clients in the finance and logistics industries. Clients also benefit from its experience in responding to administrative investigations initiated by the Chinese authorities. Adept at advising on regulatory compliance issues and training.
——Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific 2021
Well-established practice with expertise across a wide range of big-ticket M&A. Advises both multinational and domestic clients on onshore and cross-border deals, showing notable activity in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. Also active on projects on behalf of clients in the mining industry. Increasingly active on transactions related to the Belt and Road Initiative.
——Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific 2020
Strengths "They provide very, very practical advice. They're very pragmatic and able to give advice in layman's terms," states one client, who goes on to note that the firm offers "one-stop-shop service" and adds: "If employment issues crop up during the investigation or after the investigation, they can provide advice too."
——Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific 2021
M&A Deal of the Year
- 2020, Deal of the Year for Assisting Kazakhstan Boguty Tungsten Mine in its Equity and Debt Financing Project, China Business Law Journal
- 2020, Deals of The Year - M&A: “New Frontier Corporation in Acquisition of United Family Healthcare”, China Law & Practice
- 2019, Deals of the Year for NFC acquires United Family Healthcare, China Business Law Journal
- 2019, Deals of the Year for Suning acquires Carrefour China, China Business Law Journal
- 2020, M&A Deal of the Year – Midsize: “Carrefour's disposal of 80% equity stake in Carrefour China to Suning”, Asian Legal Business
- 2014, 2017-2020, nominated in M&A Deal of the Year for several times, Asian Legal Business
- 2020, nominated in M&A Deal of the Year – Midsize: “Jiangxi Copper Company Limited's acquisition of the Canadian Listed Company First Quantum Minerals Ltd. Shares with a Consideration Exceeding USD 1.1 Billion”, “New Frontier Corporation in Acquisition of United Family Healthcare” and “Carrefour's disposal of 80% equity stake in Carrefour China to Suning”, Asian Legal Business
- 2020, nominated in M&A Deal of the Year – Premium: “BeiGenes's Strategic Oncology Collaboration with Amgen”, Asian Legal Business
M&A Firm of the Year
- 2021, nominated in Team of the Year – M&A, IFLR1000 China Awards
- 2014-2016, nominated in three consecutive years in M&A/Private Equity Law Firm of the Year, Asian Legal Business
- 2004-2013, nominated in Recommended firm in M&A/Private, Asian Legal Business
- 2022, Recommended firm in Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners Greater China Region
- 2012-2021, Recommended firm in Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific
- 2019-2022, Recommended firm in Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners Global
- 2008-2011, Highly recommended firm in Corporate and M&A, Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific
- 2011-2022, Recommended firm in Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- 2001-2010, Top-tier firm in Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- 2016-2021, the M&A Law Firm of the Year – China (band 2), Asian Legal Business
- 2022, Highly recommended firm in Corporate and M&A, Asialaw Profiles
- 2015-2021, Recommended firm in Corporate and M&A, Asialaw Profiles
- 2016-2022, Recommended firm in M&A, IFLR1000
- 2022, Recommended firm in M&A (Beijing & Shanghai), IFLR1000 China
- 2016-2022, Top-tier firm in Corporate M&A, LEGALBAND
- 2021, Ranked in China Leading Firm: Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen - Commercial and transactions (Benchmark Litigation China List), Benchmark Litigation
- 2020-2021, Ranked in China Leading Firm: Commercial and transactions(Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution List), Benchmark Litigation
- 2020-2021, China Business Law Awards – “M & A (Outbound)”, China Business Law Journal
- 2022, China Business Law Awards – “M & A (Inbound and domestic)”, China Business Law Journal
- 2010, Ranked eighth in the 2010 Asia-pacific Global Financial Advisory M&A Rankings and third in PRC firms (based on numbers of disclosed cases), Bloomberg Law
- GLO Advises on Minsheng EDU of Online Education Acquisitions
- GLO Lands in Chengdu, A Display of the Firm’s Ambition
- New Arrivals | GLO Welcomes 6 New Partners
- GLO Advised Xiaomi Corporation on its Acquisition of Zimi Shares
- GLO advised Lvgem (China) Real Estate Investment Company Limited on its wholly o...
- Awards & Accolades
- GLO Honor | GLO Honored in Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide 2021
- GLO Honor | GLO Honored in 2020 ALB China Law Awards
- GLO Honor | GLO Honored in asialaw Profiles 2021 Edition
- GLO Honor | GLO Honored in ALB China M&A Rankings 2020 for Five Years
- Awards & Rankings | GLO Shortlisted for ALB 2020 China Law Awards